Before the construction of the Te Palace, “Tejeto” island was home to the Gonzaga’s stables. The latter have been incorporated into the Villa.

The squared court is clearly inspired by old villas’ shape and the nobles’ countryside residencies. In fact, Giulio Roman had a constant source of inspiration throughout his works, which is the ancient Roman and Greek architecture and art.

The palace was built and decorated over 10 years (1525 – 1535) and its original structure has been partially modified throughout the centuries. In fact, between the late 16th century and the first half of 17th century, new structures have been added: the Grotto, the Esedra Garden and the Fruttiere. Moreover, in the second half of the 18th century, the architect Paolo Pozzo took restoration works and did renovations of the roofs, pavements and the frescos.

Despite the renovations, the architecture and the decorative trim of every room are the embodiment of the passage from Renaissance beauty to Mannerism, of which Giulio Romano remains the main protagonist and genius.